Monday, September 14, 2015

Hello from Toronto!!!!!!

Hello from Toronto!!!!!!
This week has probably been the craziest in my life, and most definitely the hardest. So after we landed in Toronto, we met our Mission President, who seems like an awesome guy, and we went to the mission home for dinner. Afterwards, the Elders in my travel group went to a hotel and stayed the night there. The next day, we came to the church building right next to the temple, where we met our new companions. My new companion is Elder Johnson. He's from Alberta, he's 20 and he's super on top of things. He's very structured which is great because he's also our District leader. After we got our new companions, we were assigned to our areas and sent out. My new area is the Christie North area, I believe it's the closest area to the center of Toronto so we are literally right in the city. Our apartment is on the 19th floor so our view of the city is INCREDIBLE!!!!!! Definitely one of my favorite things about living here. So when we first got to our apartment, it was pretty much trashed. :| We had reopened this area so no missionaries had been living there for about six weeks. The last missionaries that were living there didn't bother to clean it up before they left and other missionaries in the building had raided it and taken what they wanted. We spent about three hours cleaning the room in the burning humid heat. So that was a rough welcome. :( Things have definitely been better since then. Since we opened the area, we don't have a lot of investigators to work off of. But we're slowly making progress.
To answer all your questions, Mom. The weirdest food I've eaten is Shwarma. Last Tuesday we Shwarmed for the first time, at a restaurant called Alvions. It was pretty good. Not to different, though. We have not eaten at any members' houses yet, be we have some appointments set up for this week. We've eaten out once (Shwarming). For the most part we eat at the apartment. PB&J Sandwiches and Life cereal for days!!! I've cooked a little bit, but I don't have to much time or money to cook, which makes me very sad sometimes. Only my companion and I live in our apartment, there are two other companionships living in our building though, so sometimes we party hard. Ha! Not really. We have done some house to house tracting which I really enjoyed minus the fact that everyone we talked to was Italian and didn't want to speak to us. :) We have had about zero referrals. We do not do the Facebook thing here. :) We do have a cellphone, but my companion carries it on him, because he uses it a lot, and I hate technology. Except emailing and Skype of course. We do do our own shopping, which everything in Canada is super expensive so that's fun. So far, I haven't tried Poutine yet, or Panimo Bars, or even Maple Syrup, but that is plentiful here, so we'll see.
Honestly, everything people told me about Toronto was very true and very false. It is a HUGE melting pot and there's lots of people here that don't speak English; but there's really no French speakers here, just a TON of Portuguese, Chinese, Korean, Indian, Italian, African, African-American, and Eastern European people here. Oh, and some white and Hispanic people. We take buses and the subway everywhere which I very much enjoy. Every says it's very clean here, which isn't all that true. Just like any city, there's always people smoking and cars honking and what not. But there's not really any homeless people here and the noise does die down at night, so that's good. Honestly though, it's a beautiful city full of different people and adventure.
Like I said before, this week was probably the hardest week of my entire life. Homesickness and fatigue and hopelessness does not hit you hard at all at the MTC. If it does, the mission will eat you alive. It's been really hard for me getting into the swing of things, but through much prayer and fasting (honestly though), I'm slowly getting better. The mission honestly is all about focusing on others, because if you focus on yourself AT ALL, you start wanting to come home. Getting lost in the work is the only way to get through the mission. Last Sunday, was my first time at church in this ward, and it was INCREDIBLE!!!! Unlike all the people on the streets (who I've found to be very afraid of missionaries, don't know why, we're a friendly people), the people at church have so much happiness in their lives because of the Gospel. It's amazing how much the Gospel can change lives.  Don't take it for granted. And remember that through God, you can do ALL THINGS!!!! Love you all and I miss you more than any of you can imagine. Bye!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment